Now that you are engaged let the wedding planning begin! As you tour venues, taste cakes, and choose your attire for the big day, be sure to start looking for the perfect DJ to set the soundtrack for your special day!
It is recommended that you begin contacting DJs around 8-10 months before your wedding. DJs are in high demand and can book fast, so it is essential to start early.
Basic Questions to Ask Your DJ
When you first meet with a potential DJ, there a few basic questions you want to consider asking to get a feel for how they conduct business and what their experience level is like, including:
- How many weddings have you played?
- How long have you worked as a professional DJ?
- Have you worked on any events at my wedding venue?
- What sets you apart from other DJs?
- Do you provide additional services such as lighting design?
- Do you have references from recent weddings I can contact?
Questions to Ask about Music
Now that you’ve interviewed them with the basics, you will want to learn more about their style and how they handle a crowd to make sure it matches up with what you are looking for. Consider asking questions such as:
- Do you have a video of a prior wedding that you performed at?
- How often do you update your music collection? What genres can you cover?
- Do you help with choosing music for the processional, recessional, etc.?
- Do you have a list of wedding songs you like to play?
- Will you act as emcee and make all of the announcements? What is your emcee style?
- Do you take song requests from guests?
With COVID-19 still a concern for many events, you will also want to ask your DJ what they do to accommodate social distancing. You can also ask if they have the technology to perform remotely if needed. At Entertainment Unlimited, we enable our DJ’s to perform virtually. See our virtual events page to learn more!
Questions You Need to Ask for Pricing, Payment, and Logistics
Price is a significant factor in choosing a DJ because you need to make sure they fit into your budget. To make sure you know what their price includes, ask questions such as:
- What is your rate? Does this include setup and breakdown between ceremony and reception locations?
- What is not included in the rate, if anything? Do you charge for travel expenses or special music requests?
- What is your rate for overtime?
- Are you insured?
- When will I receive the written contract?
- Do you offer a payment plan? How much of a deposit is required, and when is it due?
- What is your refund/cancellation policy?
- What information do you need from me?
You will also want to know the details for the days leading up to and the day of the ceremony. Be sure to ask your DJ questions such as:
- Will you require any special electrical outlets for equipment that I will need to inform the venue about?
- Will you bring backup equipment?
How much time do you require to set up, perform a soundcheck, and breakdown on the day of the wedding?
- When will you arrive at the wedding and when will you leave?
- What is the deadline for us to submit music requests and wedding details?
- Do you require a meal?
- What will you wear to the event?
- When will we meet again before the wedding?
- It is also essential to ask your DJ if they have any questions for you. This allows
- them to get any extra information they need from you to meet your needs best.
Pittsburgh Wedding DJs for Your Next Event
At Entertainment Unlimited, our professional wedding DJs provide Pittsburgh weddings with top-notch DJ services. Our DJs are experienced, insured, and will strive to make your day memorable and unique. Contact us today to learn more about our wedding DJ services.